Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Longing

Sometimes it becomes so acute I crack under the pain. I want to cry out, unable to bear the weight that presses upon me. Tears flow freely, springing from a heart that is aching desperately.

It's a good longing. It's wholesome, right, pure, and lovely. But it will never be fulfilled...not in this life. I must always bear it's weight, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. But it keeps me going. It keeps me running for what lies ahead, it clears my vision, and it brings my focus around to where it belongs.

Sometimes though, it's so intense I can't bear it. It makes minutes feel like hours, and days feel like years. I become so aware of what I am not and what this world is not.

I long. I yearn. I cry.

I must wait.


"Heaven is not here. It's there. If we were given all we wanted here, our hearts would settle for this world rather than the next. God is forever luring us up and away from this one, wooing us to Himself and His still invisible Kingdom, where we will certainly find what we so keenly long for." Elisabeth Elliot


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jess, that is so true! This world is merely a lodging place...it is not our home. I had never read that quote by Elisabeth Elliot before. So encouraging. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete